Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsWijayanto, director of BMKG’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center, said that the agency had recorded 4,258 aftershocks in the region as of Friday morning, with 31 having a magnitude of 5.0 or higher.
Earthquake victims are treated on Aug. 15 in a temporary medical tent because of fears of aftershocks, in front of the Ruteng hospital in Ruteng, Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Rescuers combed through debris for survivors on Aug.15 after a powerful earthquake struck off Flores island, killing at least 47 people, according to disaster officials. (AFP/Juni Kriswanto)
he death toll from last week’s earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) has risen to 83, as a series of powerful aftershocks continue to rattle the province, causing additional damage and hampering recovery efforts.
A magnitude 5.2 earthquake struck the province at around 2 a.m. on Friday, further unsettling communities already affected by the disaster.
The latest tremor came a day after two magnitude 5.8 aftershocks hit the region at 6:45 a.m. and 10:46 a.m. on Thursday. The repeated seismic activity triggered further damage to already weakened buildings and bridges and caused landslides at several locations.
Authorities reported that a 56-year-old man in Ruteng, Manggarai Regency, died after suffering a heart attack reportedly triggered by panic during Thursday’s earthquake.
Seismic activity remained high in NTT nearly a week after the province was hit by a magnitude 7.7 earthquake on Aug. 15, according to Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG).
Wijayanto, director of BMKG’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center, said that the agency had recorded 4,258 aftershocks in the region as of Friday morning, with 31 having a magnitude of 5.0 or higher.
“Aftershock activity remained relatively high during the first several days following the main earthquake, with no significant indication of a sustained decline,” Wijayanto said on Friday. “The sequence of aftershocks is expected to continue for the next three to four weeks.”
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.