TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Go to Ancol or TMII, not Monas, says mayor

  /   Thu, June 25 2009   /  11:24 am

Dozens of delman (traditional horse-drawn buggy) operators staged a protest in front of City Hall on Wednesday, demanding the officials remove a ban forbidding them from operating inside the National Monument (Monas) park. "I have stayed at home and stopped operating my buggy for two years since the ban was enacted. "We want to be allowed to work inside the park again," said former delman driver Matsani, 25. The officials' promise to relocate them to Ancol in North Jakarta or to Indonesia in Miniature Park (TMII) in East Jakarta was just a lie because it had never been done, Matsani said. The delman drivers staged a number of similar protests last year because they felt that their income had dropped sharply after they were prohibited from operating inside Monas park. Central Jakarta Mayor Sylviana Murni said she had never promised to secure a new place for delman...