The Jakarta Post
A group of volunteers for Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama who operate under the Teman Ahok banner are denying accusations that they received Rp 30 billion from developers involved in reclamation projects and say they welcome an investigation by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).
The accusations directed at the group were mere gossip, Teman Ahok spokesman Singgih Widyastono said, denying the information that was first announced by lawmaker Junimart Girsang.
"We don't know how he could say that kind of thing. We never received money from developers," Singgih told thejakartapost.com on Thursday, adding that the group would also reveal its financial statements to the public and to the KPK.
KPK chairman Agus Rahardjo had also said that the agency would follow up on the information it received and would start an investigation to look into it.
Junimart, who is with the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) said on Wednesday that he has information and supporting documents that claim Teman Ahok received Rp 30 billion (US$ 2.3 million) from developers involved in coastal reclamation projects. The funds were allegedly distributed by Sunny Tanuwidjaja, one of Ahok's aides and a key witness in the KPK's investigation of possible graft case in the development project.
Teman Ahok had received Rp 500 million from Hasan Nasbi, the founder of political consultant firm Cyrus Network, as start-up capital, Singgih revealed. However, the group managed to repay the amount in several stages from funds collected from merchandise sales.
The group has earned Rp 5.6 billion from the sale of merchandise such as T-Shirts, bracelets and accessories, Singhih said.
Teman Ahok helped the outspoken governor to collect copies of the IDs of Jakarta citizens so that he could run as an independent candidate in next year's gubernatorial election. The group has so far collected more than 986,000 of their 1 million target. (rin)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x