Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Court postpones hearing for terror leader Aman Abdurrahman

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, May 11, 2018   /   03:26 pm
Court postpones hearing for terror leader Aman Abdurrahman Aman Abdurrahman (in orange jacket), the alleged mastermind of the Jan. 14, 2016 suicide bombing on Jl. MH Thamrin, Central Jakarta, attends a hearing on Feb. 15 at the South Jakarta District Court. ( Sari)

The court hearing scheduled for Friday morning in the terror trial of the most prominent ideologue in the Islamic State (IS) movement in Indonesia, Aman Abdurrahman, has been postponed for “technical difficulties”.

The prosecutors encountered difficulties in transporting the defendant from his cell at the National Police’s Brigade Mobile headquarters (Mako Brimob) detention center in Depok, West Java, two days following a deadly riot that broke out between detainees and the police.

“We cannot bring the defendant to the court, therefore we cannot read out the charges today. We request [a hearing] postponement,” prosecutor Anita told the South Jakarta District Court as quoted by The judicial panel granted the request and postponed the hearing until next Friday.

Aman, the leader of terrorist group Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD), is on trial for several recent bombing attacks in the country in recent years, including the deadly January 2016 bombing on Jl. MH Thamrin in Central Jakarta.

Aman’s lawyer Asrudin Hatjani mentioned separately that prosecutors were unable to transport Aman to the court because conditions at the Mako Brimob detention center in Depok were unclear.

The riot that broke out on Tuesday evening led to a prison siege that ended on Thursday morning with police forces storming the facility. Five police officers and one inmate were killed during the siege.

Asrudin said he had tried to meet his client, but could not because the detention center was still closed to the public. From the information he had gathered from police officers, Aman was “in good condition” and was being held in a separate detention block from other IS-linked inmates.

After the riot, the police have moved 145 of the 155 terrorist inmates involved in the rioting – not all 155 as reported earlier – from Mako Brimob to the Nusakambangan maximum security prison island in Cilacap, Central Java.

Aman remains in detention at Mako Brimob as a defendant in ongoing court trials. 

The terrorist inmates, who held a police officer hostage during the nearly 40-hour siege, had demanded to speak with Aman during initial negotiations early on Tuesday, a demand the police later met. (vny)