TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Bukit Duri evictees win legal battle against eviction

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, July 24, 2018   /   07:41 am
Bukit Duri evictees win legal battle against eviction Residents watch a backhoe topple a two-story building in Buki Duri, South Jakarta, during an eviction on Sept. 28, 2016. (JP/Dhoni Setiawan)

The Jakarta High Court has ruled in favor of Bukit Duri evictees' class action lawsuit opposing their eviction from their houses in South Jakarta, carried out by the Jakarta administration on Sept. 28, 2016.

The high court judges rejected an appeal filed by one of the defendants, the Ciliwung-Cisadane Flood Control Office (BWSCC), said Ciliwung Merdeka community leader Sandyawan Sumardi on Monday.

The evictees were informed of the verdict by the bailiffs of the Central Jakarta District Court since neither the residents nor their lawyers had been given a copy of the appeal's verdict, Sandyawan said.

"We will obtain a copy of the verdict tomorrow," Sandyawan said as quoted by kompas.com.

The high court's verdict followed the evictees' class action victory at the Central Jakarta District Court on Oct. 25, 2017.

The Jakarta administration, under former governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, evicted Bukit Duri residents on Jan. 12, 2016, as part of the administration’s efforts to restore Ciliwung River to further decrease flooding in the city.

Opposing the policy, 93 of the residents filed a class action with the Central Jakarta District Court on May 10, 2016 and demanded compensation amounting to Rp 1.07 trillion (US$73.8 million) in material losses and Rp 104 billion in immaterial losses. (rfa)