The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Embassy in New Delhi has confirmed that 10 Indonesians who previously tested positive for COVID-19 in the Indian state of Telangana have all recovered.
The 10 citizens were treated at a hospital in Hyderabad, Telangana’s capital, after testing positive for the illness last month.
According to a statement released by the Indonesian Foreign Ministry, the Telangana health authority informed Indonesian Ambassador to India Sidharto Suryodipuro of the recoveries on Monday.
Although the patients have recovered from the disease, they are required to undergo further self-quarantine for 14 days.
Sidharto conveyed his gratitude for the cooperation of health authorities in Telangana and the Indian government in providing treatment for the Indonesian citizens.
“We also want to thank our fellow Indonesians in Hyderabad for their help and support,” Sidharto said in the statement on Tuesday.
Last month, The New Indian Express reported that 10 Indonesians and three Indians had been admitted to Hyderabad’s Gandhi Hospital on March 16 after showing symptoms of COVID-19.
The police said the 10 Indonesians were part of an Islamic outreach organization and had arrived in Karimnagar – a city in Telangana state in southeast India – two days after traveling from New Delhi.
The news outlet reported that the Indonesians and the three Indians had been staying in a mosque in Karimnagar.
As the Indian government has restricted international arrivals into the country due to the coronavirus pandemic, the authorities that received information regarding the arrival of the Indonesians began to look for them and later took them to a nearby hospital for COVID-19 testing before taking them to Hyderabad.
According to Worldometer, India had recorded 1,397 cases of COVID-19 and 35 fatalities as of Wednesday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi ordered the country’s 1.3 billion people to remain indoors until April 15, saying that such self-isolation was the only hope to stop the viral pandemic, Reuters reported.
The vast shutdown has triggered a humanitarian crisis, with hundreds of thousands of poor migrant laborers employed in big cities such as Delhi and Mumbai heading to their homes in the countryside on foot after losing their jobs.
The federal government said on Monday that it had no plans to extend the shutdown beyond the three-week period, the news agency reported.
“We call on Indonesians to obey the orders of local authorities and practice a healthy lifestyle,” the Indonesian Embassy said.