TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

COVID-19: Four foreigners questioned in Bali after partying despite calls for physical distancing

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, April 15, 2020   /   05:00 pm
COVID-19: Four foreigners questioned in Bali after partying despite calls for physical distancing A general view shows a near-empty beach in Kuta on Indonesia's resort island of Bali on March 22, 2020, amid concerns of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. (AFP/Sonny Tumbelaka)

Police have questioned four foreigners in Bali after a video of people holding a house party during the COVID-19 outbreak was circulated on social media.

National Police spokesperson Brig. Gen. Argo Yuwono said that Badung Police officers had questioned the four foreigners, identified by their initials JAM, MDM, YS and EM.

“They were ordered to write a statement of compliance, saying they would not repeat their mistakes. They are also required to regularly report to the police,” Argo said during a press briefing on Tuesday.

He added that police also seized a number of mobile phones as evidence in the case.

Read also: COVID-19: Bali has no intention of applying large-scale social restrictions

Instagram account @infobalitoday posted on Monday a video showing more than a dozen people partying in a villa on the resort island, ignoring the government’s call for physical distancing to flatten the COVID-19 curve.

“Some foreigners had a party at a villa in Canggu district, Badung, Bali, on Sunday evening,” the video was captioned.

The video shows around a dozen people gathering by a swimming pool, enjoying cocktails and DJing.

Badung Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Roby Septiadi said the party seen in the video was held at a villa in Badung on Sunday evening. He said the party organizer initially told police the party would be attended by a limited number of people.

However, around 15 people eventually came to the party, kompas.com reported.

Roby advised all local residents and foreigners to refrain from holding parties and social gatherings during the outbreak. He added that police would disperse such events, as they violated a gubernatorial instruction on limiting crowds in public places and suspending public events.

As of Wednesday noon, 92 confirmed COVID-19 cases had been recorded on the resort island with two deaths. Nationwide, 4,839 cases have been recorded with 459 fatalities. (trn)