TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Anies admits meeting reclamation developers at Prabowo’s house

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

jakarta   /   Wed, October 25, 2017   /   10:58 am
Anies admits meeting reclamation developers at Prabowo’s house A July 23 aerial photo shows one of the islets of the Jakarta Bay reclamation project. (Antara Foto/Aditya Pradana Putra)

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, who has typically remained tightlipped when asked about the Jakarta Bay reclamation project since assuming office, admitted on Tuesday that he had met with several developers of the controversial project two months ago at the home of Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto.

Prabowo backed Anies's bid for governor.

He was quick to add that no intervention was made during the meeting on his plan to stop the reclamation project, one of his key campaign promises. 

“It is true that there was a meeting. Pak Prabowo didn't give any pressure or any directive as has been widely portrayed. He makes friends with everyone and welcomes everyone, regardless of who they are,” Anies said on Tuesday at City Hall, kompas.com reported.

The former education minister said that during the meeting in August, which took place in Hambalang district of Bogor, West Java, he simply listened to the developers as they explained their plans for the reclamation project, and claimed that that no agreement was made.

He declined to provide the names of the developers or their representatives that attended the meeting.

Tempo magazine reported earlier this month that Tomy Winata of Artha Graha and Richard Halim Kusuma of Agung Sedayu Group were among those at the meeting. (fac)