Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

One alleged terrorist arrested, two pipe bombs seized in raid in Bekasi

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, May 9, 2019   /   07:22 pm
One alleged terrorist arrested, two pipe bombs seized in raid in Bekasi Members of the National Police's Densus 88 counterterrorism squad guard the front of a cellular phone shop that is blocked off with police tape in North Bekasi, Bekasi municipality, West Java, after a raid on Wednesday. (Antara/Risky Andrianto)

The Jakarta Police arrested an alleged terrorist during a raid at a mobile phone store in North Bekasi, Bekasi City, West Java, on Wednesday, following a string of raids last week.

In the raid, conducted at Wanky Cell, a mobile phone store on Jl. Muchtar Tabrani in North Bekasi, the National Police’s Densus 88 counterterrorism squad also found two pipe bombs.

“The raid was the result of developments of a case in which earlier arrests of [alleged members] of JAD Lampung and JAD Bekasi were made,” Jakarta Police spokesman Argo Yuwono said on Thursday as reported by, referring to the recent arrests of several alleged terrorists linked to the terrorist network Jamaah Ansharut Daulah.

Investigators from Densus 88 made prior raids and arrests in Babelan, Bekasi regency, and Jatiasih in Bekasi municipality, where the police arrested one alleged terrorist, while another allegedly blew himself up during a separate arrest.

“The suspect arrested here [Wanky Cell] was the head, he was the coordinator of the other suspects that we had arrested,” he said, adding that the police would conduct more raids in other places as part of an ongoing investigation.

Besides two pipe bombs, Densus 88 also confiscated booster fertilizer, hydrogen chloride, white powder and several types of liquid kept in bottles.

The local neighborhood unit chief, Zakaria, said Densus 88 arrived at the location at 5 p.m. on Wednesday and immediately raided the store, which was open. Two employees were inside the store.

“I think the store had been open for more than one year. There are three employees working there, but there were only two when the [raid] took place. They knew nothing,” Zakaria told (das)