TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Hospitals decline to confirm gunshot wounds

  • Ghina Ghaliya and Kharishar Kahfi

    The Jakarta Post

PREMIUM
Jakarta   /   Wed, May 22, 2019   /  09:20 pm
The Jakarta Post Image
An man injured during the clash between the mob and the police leaves Tarakan Hospital in Central Jakarta flanked by two friends on May 22. (JP/Seto Wardhana)

Hospitals treating casualties from Wednesday’s riot have not confirmed whether any injuries were caused by live rounds even though at least one fatality and one of the injured appeared to have suffered gunshot wounds. Authorities have said they received reports that six people died and about 200 people were injured in the rioting. Whether live rounds were fired during the riot is a matter of controversy because the police had earlier said they would not use live ammunition to secure the capital from May 21 to May 25 despite the highest security alert during that period. The police have said that if any live rounds were fired, they were not fired by their officers. The police had previously warned of the possibility of a terrorist attack "piggybacking" on the election result protest. In the early hours of Wednesday, the dead and the injured were rushed to sever...