The Jakarta Post
A man who had traveled to Pakkato village, Gowa regency, South Sulawesi, to participate in a suspended international Islamic mass gathering reportedly died on Friday afternoon.
The gathering committee chairman Kahar Munir confirmed the news, saying the man came from Manokwari, West Papua.
The cause of death is yet unknown.
“His family told us he had heart disease,” Kahar said.
Neither the Gowa administration nor the Gowa Police were immediately available for comment.
Meanwhile, Bontoromannu district head Muhammad Sabir said the administration was still looking for further information regarding the death.
“We have sent a team to confirm the news.”
The gathering, initially scheduled to be held from Thursday to Sunday, was canceled by the South Sulawesi provincial administration over heightened concerns about COVID-19. It was suspended after more than 8,000 participants had already arrived at the site, 474 of whom were foreign nationals.
Congregation members from the province were immediately sent to their respective homes. Meanwhile, people from outside South Sulawesi and foreigners attending the gathering were allowed to stay in Makassar and leave the province according to their trip schedules.
They are to depart from Sultan Hasanuddin International Airport and the Soekarno-Hatta seaport in Makassar. (aly)