The Jakarta Post
Amid concerns over Indonesia’s ever-growing tally of confirmed coronavirus cases, several regional heads across the archipelago have come forward and announced that they have tested positive for COVID-19.
Nadjmi Adhani, the mayor of Banjarbaru in South Kalimantan, posted a video message on Instagram on Monday, informing the public that he and his wife had contracted the coronavirus.
In the 2-minute clip, Nadjmi is seen wearing an oxygen mask while addressing the viewers from what appears to be a hospital room.
“I’d like to remind all Banjarbaru residents that COVID-19 is no laughing matter,” he said in the video.
“[The disease] is real and we have to fight it by adhering to health protocols.”
Nadjmi went on to say that Banjarbaru deputy mayor Darmawan Jaya Setiawan would oversee all official matters related to the administration during his recovery period.
As of Monday, South Kalimantan had confirmed 5,689 COVID-19 cases and 273 deaths from the disease.
In South Sumatra, Ogan Ilir Regent Ilyas Panji Alam told a press conference about his COVID-19-positive diagnosis on Monday.
Ilyas, who sat on a couch in his official residence while tethered to an intravenous pole throughout the press conference, said he had previously had his swab sample tested at Bhayangkara Palembang Hospital and that the result came back positive.
“According to the test result that I received this morning, I have contracted COVID-19,” he said as quoted by kompas.com.
“To colleagues who have come into contact with me, please have yourself tested.”
Ilyas said that, although he felt healthy, he would remain isolated in his home for the foreseeable future to minimize the risk of further viral infection in the region.
He called on Ogan Ilir locals to comply with the available health procedures, including maintaining a safe physical distance between one another and wearing a face mask in public.
South Sumatra had recorded 3,275 positive COVID-19 cases and 154 fatalities linked to the disease as of Monday.
In Central Java, Surakarta Deputy Mayor Achmad Purnomo was declared coronavirus-free on Saturday after having previously tested positive for COVID-19.
“The test came out negative,” Achmad told tribunnews.com on Monday.
Despite the encouraging test result, however, Achmad is still due to remain in self-quarantine to ensure full recovery.
As of Monday, Central Java had confirmed 8,622 COVID-19 cases and 574 deaths. (rfa)