TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

TNI recovers bodies of 10 miners killed in attack claimed by Papuan separatist group

The OPM's paramilitary wing has claimed responsibility for the attack, alleging that the miners were undercover intelligence operatives, while security forces continue to search the area for other miners who might still be in hiding.

News Desk (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
Jakarta
Mon, May 25, 2026 Published on May. 23, 2026 Published on 2026-05-23T10:55:35+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Police officers patrol an access road in Bintang Mountains regency in Papua Highlands province on Sept. 21, 2023, as part of the joint military-police Operation Cartenz Peace to curb separatist violence in the region. Police officers patrol an access road in Bintang Mountains regency in Papua Highlands province on Sept. 21, 2023, as part of the joint military-police Operation Cartenz Peace to curb separatist violence in the region. (Antara/Laksa Mahendra)

S

ecurity forces have recovered the bodies of 10 illegal gold miners who were killed earlier this week by armed separatists from the Free Papua Movement (OPM) in a remote forest area in Papua Highlands province.

According to authorities, the attack occurred in Awimbon district of Bintang Mountains regency and confirmed that the death toll had increased to 10 victims from eight previously.

Earlier reports had misidentified the site of the attack as Korowai district in neighboring Yahukimo regency.

The National Police’s Brig. Gen. Faisal Ramadhani, who heads the joint military-police Operation Cartenz Peace, said recovering the miners’ bodies took several days due to the rugged terrain of the isolated area, deep within a protected forest.

“Our personnel had to open access routes and cut through dense forest to reach the site,” Faisal said on Friday, as quoted by Tempo.co.

“We suspect there are still other miners scattered in the area after fleeing during the assault,” he noted, adding that the toll could rise further.

The Jakarta Post - Newsletter Icon

Morning Brief

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.

Delivered straight to your inbox three times weekly, this curated briefing provides a concise overview of the day's most important issues, covering a wide range of topics from politics to culture and society.

By registering, you agree with The Jakarta Post's

Thank You

for signing up our newsletter!

Please check your email for your newsletter subscription.

View More Newsletter

“Our immediate priority is to evacuate survivors, recover and return the victims’ bodies to their families, and track down the separatist group responsible for the assault,” he said.

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

TNI recovers bodies of 10 miners killed in attack claimed by Papuan separatist group

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.