TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Ronaldo 'violated' COVID-19 protocol, says Italy's sports minister

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Milan, Italy   /   Fri, October 16, 2020   /   09:00 am
Ronaldo 'violated' COVID-19 protocol, says Italy's sports minister This handout picture released on Tuesday by the Portuguese Football Federation shows PortugalĀ“s forward Cristiano Ronaldo giving the thumb up as he watches his teammates training session from a balcony at PortugalĀ“s training camp in Oeiras, on the outskirts of Lisbon. - Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for COVID-19, the Portuguese football federation announced. (AFP/Diogo PINTO / Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) )

Cristiano Ronaldo may have violated Italian COVID-19 measures by traveling to Portugal while Juventus was in isolation, returning to Turin this week after testing positive, Italy's sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora said on Thursday.

"Yes, I think so, if there were no specific authorizations from the health authority," Spadafora told Radio Uno when asked whether the 35-year-old Portuguese star had breached COVID-19 rules.

Ronaldo risks a fine after joining his national side last week despite Juventus being in isolation after two staff members tested positive.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner tested positive on Monday, the day after Portugal drew 0-0 with France in Paris, and returned to Italy on his private jet on Wednesday.

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli said Thursday that his club had respected sporting protocol, referring to the "Ministries of Health and the Interior" to find out which rules Ronaldo had broken.

"Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorized by the competent health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his isolation at his home," Juventus said in a statement.

The entire Juventus team was back in isolation on Wednesday evening after US midfielder Weston McKennie tested positive. 

Both McKennie and Ronaldo are in quarantine, for at least 10 days, and must test negative before rejoining their teammates.

"I think that, at the moment, the protocols in force for the sports championships, both for Serie A soccer and for the sports associations and clubs are valid as long as they are respected," said Spadafora. 

"And if there is someone who does not respect them, then the cases that we read in the news are created."

Under UEFA rules a player must provide evidence that he is no longer sick a week before a European match.

Ronaldo, who will miss Juventus' Champions League opener against Dynamo Kiev on Oct.20, must test negative on Oct.21 to play against Barcelona a week later.