Timor Leste confirmed its first fatality from the novel coronavirus, the country's health ministry said Tuesday.
A coordinator of the ministry's COVID-19 team told reporters a 44-year-old woman, who had been undergoing treatment for the infection in Dili, died Monday.
The woman was admitted to hospital on March 24 after having tested positive for the virus a day earlier, the official said. She had underlying health complications caused by chronic kidney failure.
Timor Leste received its first batch of a COVID-19 vaccine developed by Britain's AstraZeneca Monday. The shipment will provide some 24,000 doses to the tiny Southeast Asian nation with a population of 1.3 million.
The country, which has been under a state of emergency since August last year, has 766 confirmed cases as of Monday, according to the ministry.