Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsThe police are investigating the shooting incident, caused by two teenage gunmen opening fire at the mosque and which led to the killing of a security guard and two other men, as a hate crime.
San Diego Police officers block the access to the Islamic Center of San Diego following a shooting in San Diego, the United States, on May 18, 2026. A shooting at the largest mosque complex in San Diego killed three people, with two suspected teenage gunmen later found dead in a car from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said. (AFP/Zoë Meyers)
he Foreign Ministry has confirmed that no Indonesian nationals were involved in the shooting incident at a mosque in San Diego, the United States, in which five were killed, including the two suspected shooters.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday local time at the Islamic Center of San Diego, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque, Reuters reported. The two suspects were later found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to the police.
The Foreign Ministry has received reports from the Indonesian Consulate General in Los Angeles about the incident, said the ministry’s citizen protection director Heni Hamidah.
“The Indonesian Consulate in Los Angeles states that we haven’t received any reports of Indonesian nationals being victims in the incident so far,” Heni told reporters on Tuesday.
She added that the ministry, as well as the consulate general, would monitor the latest developments in the incident and the response by local authorities.
Afina Burhanuddin, consul for information and socio-cultural affairs at the Indonesian Consulate General in Los Angeles, separately said her office had maintained communication with the Indonesian Muslim community to ensure their safety after the shooting, as reported by Antara.
Read also: Florida investigating ChatGPT role in mass shooting
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.