The Jakarta Post
While many are still resisting relocation, several families who were victims of a recent fire in Taman Kota, West Jakarta, have agreed to move to a low-cost apartment (Rusunawa) complex.
A fire blazed through houses on Jl. Perumahan Taman Kota, which were illegally built on a 3,000-square-meter plot of land on March 29, killing two and leaving at least 450 families homeless.
As the Jakarta administration owns the land, it has banned people from returning to rebuild their houses in the area, and plans to relocate them to a Rusunawa located in Rawa Buaya, West Jakarta.
“Yesterday, some residents, along with the subdistrict head and district head, came to Rawa Buaya for the briefing on the apartment facilities. Some 13 families agreed to move in,” Sarjoko said on Wednesday as reported by kompas.com.
Sarjoko said that a total of 132 families were planned to occupy Towers A and B at the Rusunawa complex.
“So far, only one family has moved in,” he said.
He said he could not yet give any information about the rental cost of the apartments, but the Taman Kota fire victims could apply to move in to the Rawa Buaya Rusun just by showing their IDs.
Separately, on the same day, dozens of victims of the inferno staged a rally in front of City Hall, rejecting the relocation.
“We just want to stay in [the location of] our former houses,” said Sudarsono, a Taman Kota resident. (ami/wit)